Car accidents can happen suddenly without any notice. In one moment, everything in your life can change forever. Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher represents victims of personal injuries and surviving families of fatal accident victims throughout Southern Maryland. SCB has experience with nearly every imaginable type of auto accident case.
Types of Auto Accident Cases
While you may be a safe driver and follow the rules of the road, there are many ways in which a car accident can occur. There is no guarantee you will be safe from a negligent driver.
Auto accident attorneys at Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher provide expert representation to the victims of car accidents who were hurt in:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end accidents
- Rollover accidents
- T-bone accidents
- Red light and stop sign accidents
- Accidents in construction zones
- Fatal car accidents
If you have been in any of these types of auto accidents, we encourage you to contact our Upper Marlboro office to arrange to speak with a lawyer with experience in personal injury resulting from auto accidents.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
Just as there are many ways a car accident can occur, there are also many common causes of car accidents. In today’s modern world, our lives are busy, the roads are congested, and there’s plenty more to be distracted by, but it’s every driver’s duty to stay focused on the road. Unfortunately, negligence behind the wheel occurs often.
Some of the most common causes of car accidents in Maryland include:
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while on an electronic device
- Driving while impaired by alcohol or drugs
- Driving recklessly
- Driving at excessive speed
- Having a defective vehicle
What To Do After A Car Accident
At Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher we understand that when a car accident occurs the confusion and intensity of the situation can make it hard to focus on taking the proper steps, but what you do in the immediate aftermath of an automotive accident can be crucial to a car accident personal injury claim.
After an accident you should:
- Get medical attention: If you or your passengers suffer any injuries as a result of the crash, it’s important that you get medical assistance immediately. Even if you feel fine it’s important to see a doctor as some symptoms may not show right away.
- Gather information: Get all the necessary information from the other driver, including name, address, phone number, insurance information, driver’s license number, and license plate.
- Take photos of the scene: It’s important to take as many photos of the scene as you can including all vehicles involved, road conditions, and the surrounding environment. These photos can help establish the cause of the accident.
- Get the police report: Request copies of the official police report and any medical documents from your doctor’s visit after the accident.
- Document what happened: Create a diary of everything that happens after the accident.
- Call a personal injury attorney: Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Sasscer, Clagett & Bucher will help you every step of the way.
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Benefits in Maryland
In the state of Maryland, it is mandatory for all drivers to have car insurance by a state-recognized provider. To protect yourself and others, the minimum policy coverage requirement is $15K for property damage, $30K for bodily injuries, and at least $65K if coverage is for two or more individuals. PIP coverage protects you by covering medical bills for any injuries you may have sustained during the accident. Coverage also includes other expenses you may have had to endure after your injuries, such as lost wages.
What Damages Are Recoverable?
There are three main types of damages in a personal injury case:
Economic damages compensate for losses such as medical bills and expenses and missed days of work due to your injury. Non-economic damages compensate for more abstract losses such as pain and suffering. The state of Maryland limits the amount of non-economic damages that can be recovered in a personal injury claim. Punitive damages are meant to punish and, as such, are rarely awarded.
Free Consultation and Claim Evaluation
If you have a question about a personal injury claim resulting from an auto accident, we invite you to call 301-627-5500 or email our office to arrange a consultation with one of our insurance claims lawyers. We serve clients throughout Maryland from offices in Upper Marlboro and La Plata.